Muddin on Through



Hello, everyone!
     It’s a rainy day here again in Southwest Haiti, third straight day of rain.  I am known for loving rainy, dreary days – and don’t get me wrong, I love rainy Haiti days on occasion – but prolonged rainfall makes life kind of come to a halt here in Haiti.  My laundry is only a fraction done, and what is not done is definitely not drying on the clothesline.  The schools are not in session because the roads and the paths are pretty much impassable.  People pretty much stay at home.  So we do too.  However, with work on hold, we have to entertain ourselves somehow so rainy days are known to break out a few afternoon board and card games.
     Paul is still working with the directors in the schools.  They’ve made some improvements, but still have a long way to go in certain areas.  Overall though Paul feels encouraged for the most part on the progress that has been made.  Construction has resumed on the new school, so he’s getting excited at that venture ahead. 
     I stay on the compound mostly getting things done here that need to get done.  But mostly, right now my role is being kind of a stay-at-home wife, which does for the most part keep me going because everything is harder in Haiti: cooking, cleaning, laundry, dishes... All take more time and effort due to a lack of modern conveniences.  However it has kind of just become normal life for us.  I was just mentioning to Paul and Tim yesterday that my cravings for burgers and cheese and Chick-Fil-A sandwiches has greatly diminished from the first months here.  Guess that means I’m adapting.
     Paul and I got the opportunity to visit his hometown in Northwest Haiti for almost a week.  I got to meet many of his family members I’ve never met before.  It was not hard to see how much Paul loves that place.  His family treated us wonderfully and, though remote, the village was beautiful.  Paul used to always tell me that I haven’t seen a beach until I’ve seen one in Mole-St.-Nicholas.  I understand now what he was talking about; however, he failed to mention the beautiful reefs that his hometown harbors.  My former-marine-biology-major’s heart took flight.
     We are getting excited and ready for our next team, which arrives on Wednesday.  It has been since July since we’ve had a real team down so it will be a much-needed breath of fresh air.  There is always a new energy with teams and we are very excited to be hosting this team, which includes many that have never been here before along with our board of directors for Mission Haiti.
     Paul and I are very excited to be heading home here shortly after our next team leaves.  We as a missionary team decided to take a long holiday vacation because we are unsure about our next venture home once the New Year begins and we start the swing of really preparing for the new school.  So November 23rd we will make our way back to Florida and be splitting up our time between West Palm Beach, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, and Sioux Falls, SD.  We are excited for a sweet time of refreshment at home with family and friends, and praying that the Lord uses that time to prepare our hearts for the next step in the journey ahead.  Thank you for your continued prayers and support.
     Much Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment