Hello, Haiti!


Well, friends, we are one week in.  Our time has been great thus far.  Upon arrival to Port-Au-Prince, we spent the night at a very nice hotel, which was so sweet for our souls to rest and retreat.  The following day we picked up the mission team from Sioux Falls Christian High School to travel to our new home, about 4 hours outside Port-Au-Prince.  The week was crazy busy.  The team ran a Vacation Bible School for about 200 kids in the community.  We also joined the team in a trip to some of the elderly folks in a program of Mission Haiti’s who live in the mountains.  You wouldn’t believe the poverty.  One of the ladies lives alone, completely blind, unable to stand or move.  She sits on her soiled, urine-soaked “bed” all day long, and by bed I mean some blankets on the ground.  Oh the life that some people live, makes you think twice about any of your complaints.

The team left midday Monday and Paul and I are learning to adjust to the quiet life on the compound without teams here.  It’s very nice actually.  I have done some work with the aquaculture already, letting my wheels turn in my head to figure out what will work best.  I have also gotten to use ophthalmology about 5 times since being here!  I hope to grow that passion here, pray that the Lord opens doors for that; it is so needed in this area.  Paul is itchin’ to get working in the school system.  Right as I type this, actually, he is translating the student handbook for the new school to Creole.

Well, there’s much more to say, but I shall not overwhelm you all with all the information on this first post.  Thank you for reading, praying, and supporting.  We love you all.


4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all is going well so far!!! Crazy that you've already used ophthalmology and aquaculture already, Bethany! So cool. Enjoy every minute. Can't wait to hear more details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priye pou ou, rayisab! (Google Translate tells me that that means "Praying for you, lovers!" in Creole. I'm going to take Google's word for it, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my biggest fears when you left for Haiti was not being able to communicate with you...but Praise the Lord for technology! It has been so great to be able to talk to you on the phone and keep up with your activities via this blog. We're praying for you and love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to hear more about how God is using you in Haiti! I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete