Mango Flavored Manna from Heaven


     As I just sit here and pull up my word document to write, I can’t believe it has been three months since we’ve been back in Haiti.  I’m sorry to those who have been disappointed in my lack-of-blogging, however life has just been crazy (seems to be thematic here).
     We hit the ground running since the moment we touched down arriving back from our Christmas trip in the United States.  Our time there was enjoyable, but also very busy.  We spent about a week and a half in West Palm Beach, a week and a half in St. Petersburg, and two and a half weeks in Sioux Falls.  We got a lot accomplished, spent a lot of time with friends and family, and put on some very needed weight.
     The year 2015 has proved to already keep us on our toes here in Mission Haiti, as we learn to dodge and roll with the punches.  Our director announced she was, and now is currently, taking a sabbatical and is currently in Africa at a Bible school for a few months.  She left with our full support here in Mission Haiti, however, as we said many times, it is now time to put our big-boy and big-girl pants on.  And that is what we have done.  We’ve adjusted to life without Pam and together Paul and Tim make the majority of the day-to-day decisions for Mission Haiti.  It’s been working quite well.  Paul has quickly become the go-to though, and barely makes it through a meal without being pulled in one direction or another.  As long as I have known Paul, though, he has had opportunities put in front of him and he has risen to them.  This is no different.  It really is kind of fun to watch.
     Meanwhile, with the shifting of jobs and responsibilities, I have taken over the school-sponsorships on the Haiti side of things.  For those of you who are unfamiliar, Mission-Haiti sponsors over 2,000 local kids to go to school, through setting them up with sponsors from the States.  We still have about 300 in our program that are still in need of sponsors, and a whole myriad of others on a waiting list to get in the program.  It is $100 per year to send an elementary child to school, get them a backpack, a pair of shoes, and some simple school supplies; and $200 for the same for high school-ers and VoTech-ers.  If you are interested in becoming a part of the program, feel free to contact me or take a look at the website Mission-Haiti.org.  Anyway, shameless plug over, I am the manager of the database, and we currently are in process of taking all 2,000 kids photos.  What makes Mission-Haiti’s program different from others around the world is 1) you get an updated photo of your child every year 2) you can send a gift down to your sponsor child 3) and if you find yourself on a trip here in Mission-Haiti, you will have the opportunity to meet your sponsor child, to hug them, take pictures with them, and probably even meet their family.  It really is an amazing thing to be a part of.
     Now, we are in the thick of team season, which is always paradoxical time of exhausting and energizing.  As I write this, we just sent our third back-to-back team off.  We often say it’s kind of like having 16 guests staying in your house, a lot of fun, but also a lot of work.   However, the teams have been amazing and we really do love the interaction with many different kinds of people.
     Life here otherwise has been going well.  It’s mango season here, and mangos are life.  Many times in the middle of the night you will hear one fall on a tin roof and you would swear it was gunfire.  I wonder if it was like when manna used to fall from Heaven when the Israelites were in the desert.  However if manna hit you on the back, I’m sure it didn’t leave as big of welts as the mangos do (you can ask Tim). 
     We also have the new teacher housing rising up on our compound.  This building will house the teachers we hope to have come from overseas to help teach in our new Christian Academy that will be starting next year (We are currently looking for Preschool and Kindergarten French-speaking teachers.  If you know of anyone interested, please contact us).  With this construction project means we’ve had a busy compound of a local construction team.  It truly has been a pleasure getting to know these men, watching their diligence and insanely hard work.  Just even watching how they are building this house from the ground up without modern power tools or fancy trinkets, it’s fascinating.  One day they were moving rock from the entrance of our compound to the site of the foundation, and I thought to myself that I’d like to help.  So I asked the boss if I could help move rock.  Now, you need to understand that our boss is a very no-nonsense, hardworking man who looks like Carl Winslow, the father on the show Family Matters.  He shrugs and tells me in Creole, “You can help move rock, but I’m not going to pay you.”  The whole crew erupted in laughter and proceeded to watch the little white girl try to keep up with these champions moving large rocks.  Let’s just say that my time on the crew only lasted one day, and but the soreness in my arms lasted much longer.
     Other random stories: one day as a mission team, we decided we needed to get out, so we took the 45 minute trip to a nice beach.  While we were placing our orders for lobster and cokes in glass bottles, a gentleman walked up carrying a sea turtle!  It was probably a 3-5 year old, beautiful green sea turtle.  He proceeds to try to sell it to us- I assume to make turtle soup?  My marine-biology-major-heart leapt into my throat and my eyes pleaded with Paul.  With his loving support (yet shaking his head), I ran after the man and paid him the equivalent of $22 American and bought myself a sea turtle!  I proceeded to take a walk with my husband and latest purchase down the shore a-ways and released him back into the ocean.  Truthfully, I don’t know if he made it after that, but I couldn’t just ignore that this guy was legitimately selling a sea turtle!  Now, in moments of boredom, I turn to Paul and say, “Hey, remember that one time I bought a sea turtle.”  Always causes a good chuckle.
      We’ve also been trying to make some movements toward getting an eye clinic set up, so I can use my background in ophthalmology to help the people of this area with their eye issues.  Dr. Sheldon Vander Griend of Sheldon, Iowa, (with the help of his brother, Gene) donated a slit lamp so I can take a deeper and better look into the eyes to treat issues of the eyes.  We are working toward getting the vision part off the ground as well.  My old practice, The Eye Institute of West Florida, has been doing a great job of collecting glasses.  I am awaiting a few more pieces of equipment to help me read glasses and people’s prescriptions before we can really move forward in this part.  We are praying that the Lord makes this equipment available.  However, we have had our first customer in this area, despite waiting for the equipment.  His name is Richardson, and he is an 11-year-old who has never had a pair of glasses, despite having over a -20.00 prescription.  Optometrist Joel Marantz of St. Petersburg, Florida, heard of this young boy, and he and his team made a special pair of glasses for this young, awesome kid.  We won’t be able to help everyone, won’t be able to meet everyone’s needs exactly, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do something.  So that’s what I am trying to do.  If you’d like to know more, you can check out an article written in the Largo Leader a few weeks ago at:  http://www.tbnweekly.com/editorial/health_news/content_articles/022615_hth-01.txt
     Thank you again for taking the time to read about what we’ve been up to.  Thank you so for all of your support.  We truly feel so supported by all of you and are grateful for your prayers.  We love you all.  Blessings until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment