Not So Far



Well, hello there

It’s about time I write you all again and give you a little glimpse as to what we’ve been up to this past month.  Well, we ran two more teams, both were a lot of fun.  One of the teams being the high school I used to go to.  One night, I took a moment to call my sister for her 30th birthday.  During the phone call, I let her know that the team on site was our old high school and our old principal was sitting no more than 10 yards from me and our old English teacher was downstairs with the high-schoolers; after which I commented, “Sometimes I look at my life and find how funny it has turned out.”  I left Sioux Falls ten years ago, went off to find my own path (as most people would say – I’ve always colored outside the lines, sometimes not even using crayons).  The world I grew up in, the church and the school I was a part of, always greeted me when I would make visits back, but for the most part, I was off the grid.  But I find my life now being more intertwined with the old one I used to wear, and although it’s weird, I enjoy it.  Even though I’ve been gone for so long, when we get teams in from my hometown, Haiti doesn’t feel so far away.

If I was feeling that way with the first team, the one that came right on its heels amped it up tenfold.  The following team was from the church I grew up in, the Mulder’s sending church.  And just so happened that my dad, mom, brother, and sister-in-law were a part of that team.  It was a truly special week to share with my family the ins-and-outs of our life here.  It is one thing to hear stories, to see pictures, but then for them to experience the mountain hikes, to get to know the people, to haul water for a bucket shower – made our life a little more of a reality for them.  And it made us grateful to have their support.

So now here we sit.  Without a team for a month!  What are we going to do with ourselves?  Oh that’s right, get stuff done!  When you run teams, it’s amazing how many other things get neglected.  So I think we all are still on catch-up duty.   Paul and I working extra hard to get as much done before next week, when we head out on a much-needed vacation.

So for now, I am working on team schedules and getting sponsorship things in line.  Paul is still rockin’ his duties, as usual.  He just started registering students for our new school.  Other exciting news along that line is we have two teachers committed to coming and teaching for our first year!  This idea of the new Christian Academy has been talked about, prayed about, and in the plans for many years – and it’s truly now starting to feel like a reality. Paul is starting to see how much work he has ahead of him; however, we’re excited.  That is why Mission-Haiti brought us here.  He’s excited to tackle the new challenge.


I can’t say I have too many exciting things to write about this update.  But I do want to say again how much we appreciate all your support.  As the reality of our next year is facing us, we know we cannot do it without your prayers, encouragement, and support.  So thank you from the bottom of our hearts.  May the Lord bless and keep you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment